Thursday, September 27, 2012

Price-Matching at Walmart

I heard about price-matching at Walmart but was kind of wary of it. It seemed scary and hard. Well I started price-matching a couple months ago and noticed a huge difference when I go grocery shopping. I never go over budget anymore (I used to go over all the time), and I feel like I get a lot more for my buck. I thought I could share what I do and maybe it'll help some of you.

  1. Read Wal-mart's Ad-Match Policy. It's short, don't worry. You will be prepared about what you can and can't do.
  2. Optional: read How I Grocery Shop by the Fun, Cheap, or Free Queen. I read this post when I wanted to start doing it, and I feel like it really prepared me to price-match. She has some really great tips.
  3. I go to savvy shopper deals which is a website that puts all the deals into one easy place. I choose Utah as my location and then go to the shopping wizard. I go through the categories to see what's on sale and then plan my meals around what's on sale. 
  4. On my shopping list I write all my regular items, then I write down my price-matching items. I write down the item, the on sale price, and what store it's on sale. I never bring my ads in because the policy says you don't need it.
  5. While shopping I try to keep my items organized in regular items and price-matching items. At checkout I put up all my WIC items, then regular items, than price-matching items. I let the cashier know up front that I have price-matching items at the end. When we get to those items I tell them the price of each item and they type it in. Tip: bring sticky notes with you and write the price on the item when you pick it off the shelf. Then when you get to the checkout, you don't have to tell the cashier. They just read the sticky note and type it in themselves.
In all the weeks I've gone, I've only had problems once. The cashier was an older gentleman and kept telling me I needed to bring the ads in next time. I didn't know that I didn't need the ads, so I will be better prepared next time. If you have more questions, feel free to ask me. I love talking about how this has helped me and would love to see it help other people too!

No comments:

Post a Comment